Sunday, April 8, 2012

Meal Plan for Week of 4/9/12

I am the queen of grand ideas. Lots of planning and good intentions, but there seems to always be a road block or two in my way. Case in point: once-a-month meal plan and shopping. The road blocks? 

Me. 

And my food allergies.

Meal planning was so much easier when the world was my oyster. Now oysters make me break out in hives. Planning meals around cuts of meat that our lovely steer so graciously offered is now a thing of the past. Unless, of course, I don't mind my throat closing up after dinner. Which I do. Even the act of taking communion at church is off limits, just in case the "bread" has gluten, or has touched anything with gluten, or touched anyone who may know someone who has touched gluten. Even if those glutenous people are in the neighboring county.

Seriously, it's enough to make me go to intravenous feedings and just forgo the real food altogether.

But then I remember my aversion to needles or anything poky, and my sanity returns. 

Even sporadic sanity is better than needles.

Because I rely so heavily on fresh produce and dairy for my meals, my trips to the grocery store need to be on a weekly basis. My hope is that when the garden starts producing and Tilly-mook freshens,  trips to the grocery store will be less frequent. For now, I have to do what I have to do. 

Which will be dodging the road blocks as best as I can.☺

Here's what's cookin' this week...

~Breakfasts~
Cranberry Walnut Scones
Pecan Coconut Muffins
Fruit Smoothies with homemade kefir

~Dinners~
Chicken & Bean Enchiladas w/ corn tortillas
Korean Beef Bulgolgi,  roasted asparagus
Southwest Soup (new),  GF Cornbread
French Green Lentil Soup w/bacon (new?), garden salad with Bleu Cheese Dressing (new)
Roasted turkey, Wild & Brown Rice Dressing (new), Raw Cranberry Relish, steamed broccoli
Leftovers

~Desserts~

*All of these meals are gluten-free. Since I can't have most meats, I always keep baked or shredded chicken in the refrigerator for those meals that have beef, pork, or venison.

This post is linked to Menu Mondays.

5 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

Do you know what caused all your new allergies to food?
It's good that there are so many new products for food allergies, but what causes your body to be fine for years and then suddenly you can't have them?

Susan said...

Have you, or would you post the recipe for GF Cornbread? I would love it! I can't get over how varied and tantalizing your menus are - where do you find all these great recipe ideas?

Candy C. said...

I cannot even begin to imagine how hard meal planning is for you...
Tilly-mook, LOL!!

Kim said...

SLF~We think the food allergies are directly related to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and that is what's making them more severe. I suspect that I've always had a few of them.

Susan~I'll post the recipe soon! I read cookbooks like some people read romance novels...it's an illness really. ;) I enjoy taking recipes and changing them up to fit our lifestyle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...(Our local Thai restaurant is on speed dial!)

Candy~Officially her name is Waltzing Matilda-Mook, but being so close to Tillamook, we just couldn't resist! :)

Anonymous said...

chocolate hazelnut pie? what night do i need to be there? :)